Non-Council committee members are registrants of the College who are not members of Council. They are appointed by Council to serve on specific committees. A non-Council member may not act as Chair of a statutory committee; however, where applicable, the non-Council member may act as Chair of a committee panel.
Non-Council committee members are appointed to a committee to assist in making decisions, which reflect CDHO’s regulatory mandate of protecting the public interest and bring to this responsibility their knowledge of the dental hygiene profession and the settings in which it is practised. They participate as full voting members of their committees and work with other Council members in managing committee work in a timely and expeditious manner.
The level of expertise will be specified by each committee. In general, non-Council members have a working knowledge of:
- current dental hygiene practice
- the profession and education of the profession
- the CDHO Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics and Regulations
Some committees may require members who bring additional knowledge in dental hygiene education, public health, orthodontic or restorative practice. Each committee will identify its needs prior to the call for applications.
In performing this function, non-Council members have a responsibility to
A. Understand and Fulfill Their Role
- Demonstrate accountability to Council and the public through an ability to make decisions in keeping with the public interest.
- Identify and address conflict of interest situations as set out in the CDHO policy, including understanding and identifying cases in which prior knowledge may affect their ability to function on the committee.
- Recognize privileged information obtained in the course of CDHO activities and maintain confidentiality.
- Understand roles and the division of responsibilities of the committee members and administrative staff.
- Maintain constructive, collaborative and mutually respectful relations with other committee members and administrative staff.
B. Possess the Necessary Knowledge
- Acquire and apply knowledge of committee policies and procedures including relevant legislation, Council values and strategic directions.
- Maintain a knowledge of issues relevant to their appointed committee.
- Review all material in advance of committee meetings.
- Identify information needed to enhance committee discussions and decision making.
C. Participate in Committee Decision Making
- Arrange schedule to allow preparation, attendance and participation at meetings.
- Contribute constructively to committee discussions and decision making.
- Resolve concerns about the committee with the Chair.
- Contribute to decision making by identifying to the committee relevant information, expertise or contact persons.
- Respect the specialized knowledge and expertise of other committee members and administrative staff.
- Identify issues to be added to the committee’s agenda.
Term of Office
The term of office for non-Council committee members is three years. Non-Council members may apply and be considered for an additional term based on the committee’s needs.
A person is eligible for consideration on the appointment to a committee by meeting the following criteria:
- is a registrant in good standing with the College;
- is engaged in the practice of dental hygiene in Ontario; or, if the registrant is not engaged in the practice of dental hygiene, the registrant resides in Ontario;
- the registrant is not in default of payment of any fees;
- the registrant is not the subject of any disciplinary or incapacity proceeding;
- a period of three years has elapsed since the registrant complied with all aspects of an order of the Discipline Committee or Fitness to Practise Committee;
- the registrant’s certificate of registration is not subject to a term, condition or limitation imposed by the Registrar on behalf of the Discipline Committee, Quality Assurance Committee or Fitness to Practise Committee;
- a period of one year has elapsed since the registrant has been an officer, director or employee of any association or organization representing the interests of dental hygienists;
- the registrant is not an employee of the College.