The regulatory colleges’ role is to assure that the public is receiving safe, ethical, effective and high-quality care. All dental hygienists are required to participate in the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario’s Quality Assurance Program.
As self-regulated health professionals, dental hygienists are expected to:
- maintain their professional responsibility to their clients
- apply the College’s standards of practice, code of ethics, and regulations to their dental hygiene practice
- improve their level of competency through ongoing education
- keep quality assurance records
- be accountable for their actions
The Quality Assurance Committee
The Quality Assurance Committee is responsible for monitoring the continuous competency of dental hygienists.
They do this by:
- doing annual reviews of quality assurance records
- reviewing practices and client care outcomes
- prescribing learning programs if gaps in performance are found