Provincial health care plans do not cover dental and dental hygiene services, and fees will vary. CDHO does not set fees, but the Ontario Dental Association and the Ontario Dental Hygienists’ Association provide their members with suggested fee guides. Before your appointment, it’s a good idea to:
- ask for a fee estimate and break down;
- ask about methods of payment;
- ask if there is a fee for home visits; or
- ask your dental plan provider if they pay for direct dental hygiene care.
Financial Help with Oral Care Costs
The Ontario Dental Hygienists’ Association keeps a list of schools that have student-led dental hygiene clinics that offer affordable and accessible dental hygiene services.
The Canadian and Ontario governments also offer programs that help eligible children and adults access oral health care. These programs include:
- Healthy Smiles Ontario – Free preventive, routine, and emergency dental services for children and youth 17 years old and under from low-income households.
- Ontario Works – Assistance for eligible Ontarians in financial need.
- Ontario Disability Support Program – Assistance for eligible Ontarians with a disability or who are members of a prescribed class.
- Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program – Free, routine dental care for eligible Ontario seniors 65 years and older.
- Non-Insured Health Benefits Program – Dental benefits for First Nations and Inuit.
- Interim Federal Health Program – Health care benefits for specific groups of people in Canada who don’t have provincial, territorial, or private health coverage.
- Canadian Dental Care Plan and the Canada Dental Benefit:
- In 2022, the federal government announced plans to create the Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP). The CDCP is expected to begin rolling out by the end of 2023 and will provide dental coverage for uninsured Canadians with an annual family income of less than $90,000, with no co-pays for those with family incomes under $70,000. While the CDCP is being developed, the government announced a temporary measure — the Canada Dental Benefit — as a first stage of its plan to deliver dental coverage for children.