Find a Registered Dental Hygienist


Funding for Therapy

CDHO’s funding for therapy and counselling program provides funding for therapy and counselling to clients who have been sexually abused by a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). All health regulatory colleges are required by law to have this program. The program is administered by CDHO’s Patient Relations Committee.

In the Ontario healthcare context, sexual abuse is defined as:

  • sexual intercourse or other forms of physical sexual relations between the RDH and the client,
  • touching, of a sexual nature, of the client by the RDH, or
  • behaviour or remarks of a sexual nature by the RDH towards the client.

“Sexual nature” does not include touching, behaviour or remarks of a clinical nature appropriate to the service provided.


A person is eligible for funding if they were a client of the RDH and one or more of the following conditions are met:

  • there is an allegation that the person was sexually abused by the RDH;
  • the RDH admits that they sexually abused the person;
  • the RDH has been convicted under the Canadian Criminal Code of sexually assaulting the person;
  • the Discipline Committee finds that the person was sexually abused by the RDH; or
  • the Patient Relations Committee has sufficient evidence to believe that the person was sexually abused by the RDH.

The full eligibility criteria can be found in the Funding for Therapy or Counselling Policy.

Available Funding

The maximum funding available to an applicant is determined by law and is equivalent to the amount that the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) would pay for 200 half-hour sessions of individual out-patient psychotherapy with a psychiatrist. The maximum amount is currently $17,370. Funding is available for a maximum period of five years, beginning from the date of the first treatment after becoming eligible. Funding is paid directly to the therapist/counsellor.

Choice of Counsellor/Therapist

You may choose your own therapist or counsellor, as long as the therapist or counsellor is not a relative and has not been found guilty of sexual abuse.

How to Apply

Please complete the application form and have the therapist/counsellor complete the information form/declaration. Submit both documents to CDHO by email to or by mail:

CDHO – Patient Relations
175 Bloor Street East, North Tower, Suite 601
Toronto, Ontario  M4W 3R8

If you have any questions, please contact Carolle Lepage at 416-961-6234, ext. 226 or